What should I bring with me to the initial consultation?

For Criminal: Driver’s licence/ passport. statement of material facts, criminal record, and documents pertaining to bail information. For restraining order, the currently valid interim orders, or any court documents provided by the Court.

What happens in the initial consultation?

We will review materials relevant to the matter and seek for instructions about the background information of the matter. Please note that if full disclosure is provided to us during the meeting, we reserve the right to charge 385 for the full hour (instead of free half an hour), so we can review the matter comprehensively. After this we will discuss about the best strategy moving forward, and provide legal advice accordingly. We will also provide an estimate if we were to come on board as acting counsel.

Why do I need a lawyer and can’t I just represent myself?

We always recommend having a lawyer for trials or complex sentencing matters.

How much will my legal costs be?

This depends on the type of matter involved. Generally, we will provide a full estimate in acting for a matter at the time of the consultation.

If I win my case, can I recover the cost of my legal fees?

You can if the matter is a summary matter and it is not dealt with by way of an indictment at the District or Supreme Court. You can recover part or all of the costs back, depending on the complexity of the matter, and what the Court deems as appropriate. Sometimes, you may be required to forfeit your right to seek for costs if there is a ‘plea deal’ offered.

Why should I choose WN Legal to represent me?

Because we have extensive experience in Criminal and Restraining Order matters, and we practice predominantly in this area of law for more than a decade.

If you represent me, will I get bail?

We can do. Please discuss with us.

If I plead guilty to a charge, will I receive a reduced sentence?

This will depend on when do you enter a plea of guilty and whether section 9AA of the Sentencing Act applies. In general, yes, you can get up to 25% discount in sentence. This is only but one of the mitigating factor in sentencing. This does not mean that you will not get a jail term.

Can you negotiate a lesser charge, or get my charges dropped?

This is possible in certain circumstances. We prefer to vet through the facts carefully before offering to negotiate on your behalf. We pride ourselves in providing consistent and professional services to our clients. If the facts do not allow us to negotiate for a lesser charge, or to have the charge dropped, then it may be the case we can review the alleged facts more carefully to determine whether the facts presented by the prosecution is true and accurate.

Will I have to attend court?

If on bail, you must. If on summons, you should. If you are on notice, you can be absent if you have a lawyer acting for you on the day. We always recommend that our clients turn up at Court so they are aware of what is happening.

What happens if I miss court?

It depends on whether you are absent with a reasonable cause. If you are on bail, there will be a bench warrant for arrest.

What can I do before going to court?

It is important to know how can the prosecution convict you based on the facts of your case, and the elements of the charge, and consult a legal professional. Know that what an accused says to the police and at trial can affect the outcome of the matter.

I have been charged with an offence but I am not guilty, what should I do?

Consult a lawyer, consider your defence, review prosecution disclosure, determine prospects of acquittal, determine whether the chances of success outweighs the risk involved in proceeding to trial. An accused has the right to have the prosecution prove their case. That being said, most prosecutors know what is required to convict an accused.

I have been charged with an offence which I did do, what should I do now?

Have you considered calling us? If you have not, the first thing you should do is seek legal advice.

Can’t Find What You’re Looking for?